Introducing the Porsche 918 Spyder.
A convertible as such, hand fitted hard topped. Jay Leno has brought in an expert which explains how the car features 3 separate engines, an electric on the front, as well as a 4.6L V8 combined with an electric motor (also known as a Hybrid V8), making this Porsche AWD up till about 126 mp/h, at this time the front electric motor actually cuts out. The engines all combined make up to 887 hp (661 KW), 1,275 Nm torque.
The initial engine weighing in at 135 kg, makes 453 kW (608 hp) / 528 nM torque at 8,500 rpm. Backed up by two separate electric motors delivering 93 kW (125 hp) to the front wheels and another delivering an additional 115 kW (154 hp) to the rear (working simultaneously with the V8 engine). The car is made up of painted carbon fiber. This Porsche weighs just about 1,685 kg (3,715 pounds).
If you skip to 13:38 in the video above, this when Jay Leno begins driving the vehicle.
Some quick and important points:
- -It get’s more than 70 miles (3.36 Litres per 100 km), that’s just great!
- -You get 19 miles (30.5 km) with the electric motor (with of course no recharging) or consuming petrol.
- -Custom made tyres (green efficient, hybrid and light-weight)
- -Exhausts are mounted at the top behind the seats
- -9150 RPM Red line
- -0-100 km/h (62mp/h) in 2.6 seconds
- -Naturally aspirated (non-turbo or supercharged)
- -4-wheel steering